Patrol Operations

userway ADA
Quick Connect


Deputies within the Patrol Operations of the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office are guided by our mission statement :
  • "Our mission is to serve the people of Eagle County by promoting and maintaining a sense of peace and cooperation throughout our community and improving the quality of life through excellence."
Patrol deputies provide law enforcement services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to the residents of unincorporated Eagle County including:
  • Eagle-Vail, Burns, Edwards, El Jebel, Bond, McCoy, Minturn and Dotsero, as well as to the towns of Gypsum and Red Cliff.
  • Members of the Patrol Services Unit strive to control crime and improve the quality of life within our community.
Enforcement of laws includes :
  • Traffic laws - Model Traffic Code for Colorado and C.R.S. Title 42 Article 4
  • Eagle County Traffic Ordinance
  • Colorado Criminal Code - See Colorado Revised Statutes-Title 18
  • Civil Service - See Civil Process Services

Eagle County Sheriff's Office investigates crashes in the incorporated areas of Gypsum and Minturn. Outside these specific municipal areas, crashes will be investigated by the local police department or Colorado State Patrol, with some exceptions such as Forest Service roads, OHV, and snowmobile crashes.

Report a crash by calling Vail Public Safety Communications or 911
  • If you were involved in a crash and a Sheriff's Deputy/Police Officer is called to the scene and obtains all the needed information (statements, DL, registration, insurance, etc.), then you will be provided with an ECSO case number.
  • No further documentation or actions regarding the reporting of a crash should be required, unless you are contacted by the Colorado Department of Revenue.
  • Request a copy of an Eagle County Sheriff’s Office crash report: ECSO Records Request Link
  • File online reports with the State of Colorado:
If a Sheriff's Deputy/Police Officer was not present at the scene OR you are directed to complete a "counter report" of the crash:
  • You may file an accident report online at:
  • If a crash report is filed online by an individual, the report does not get investigated by a law enforcement agency.
  • The reports are kept by the State of Colorado for records purposes only.
You are required to provide the other driver (regardless of whose fault it is) with your:
  • Name
  • Telephone number
  • Insurance information

Unincorporated areas of Eagle County are patrolled by Eagle County Sheriff’s deputies assigned to each District, including some Forest Service (USFS) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) areas. All districts border each other. The districts and the areas covered in each area are described below:
  • District 1 - Area covered is east of Edwards to the top of Vail Pass (Summit County line) to Tennessee Pass on U.S. Hwy 24 (Lake County line). Communities included are Avon, Beaver Creek, Minturn, Vail, Red Cliff, Gilman and Eagle-Vail.
  • District 2 - Area covered is from Edwards west to approximately MM 156 on U. S. Hwy 6 and MM 153 on I -70 to the Routt and Grand county line north of McCoy on U.S. Hwy 131. Communities included are Edwards, Wolcott, Lake Creek, Squaw Creek, Cordillera, Bond and McCoy.
  • District 3 - Area covered is from MM 156 on U.S. Hwy 6 and MM 153 on I -70 west to the Garfield county line at Glenwood Canyon. Communities included are Eagle, Gypsum, Dotsero, Brush Creek, Sylvan Lake, Colorado River Road and Burns.
  • District 4 - Area covered is from the Garfield County line east to Pitkin County. Communities included are El Jebel, Basalt, Frying Pan Rd, Ruedi Reservoir, and Missouri Heights.
How do I become a sheriff's deputy?
Becoming a sheriff's deputy requires Peace Officer Standards and Training by the State of Colorado as a peace officer.
  • For more information, please refer to the Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training Board (P.O.S.T) website.
  • Candidates interested in working for the sheriff’s office must complete extensive testing and a background investigation through the sheriff's office.
  • Colorado Law Enforcement Training Academy (CLETA) at Colorado Mountain College in Glenwood Springs, CO. Information can be found HERE
  • Other Colorado POST-Approved Basic Academies can be found HERE
How do I commend a sheriff's office employee for going above and beyond the call of duty?
The men and women of the Eagle County Sheriff's Office take great pride in serving and protecting the residents and guests of Eagle County. Every day deputies and civilian employees surpass duty's call and when that happens we'd like to know about it.
If you received extraordinary service from a sheriff's office employee, or witnessed something that deserves special recognition, we encourage you to tell us so we may share your thoughts with that employee and with the Eagle County Sheriff's Office family. Your appreciation and encouragement are important to us.

Please include all the information you can remember such as the employee's name, the date, time and circumstances of the incident regarding your commendation.

  • Compliments and Complaints will be accepted by completing the following FORM -OR- you can contact dispatch to be connected to an on-duty Patrol Sergeant directly at 970-479-2201.
How do I file a complaint against an employee of the sheriff's office ?

The men and women of the Eagle County Sheriff's Office take great pride in serving and protecting the residents and guests of Eagle County. If a member of our professional team is not meeting expectations, complaints and recommendations may be accepted as we would like to hear from you.

Please include all the information you can remember such as the employee's name, the date, time, and circumstances of the incident regarding your commendation.

  • Compliments and Complaints will be accepted by completing the following FORM -OR- you can contact dispatch to be connected to an on-duty Patrol Sergeant directly at 970-479-2201.
What do I do if I have information regarding a crime or criminal activity?
  • Please call the Eagle County Sheriff's Office at 970-328-8500
  • Anonymous tips can contact the Eagle County Crime Stoppers at 970-328-7007, 1-800-972-TIPS.
  • Or submit your tip online at or send a mobile tip using the free ‘P3 Tips’ mobile app.
How do I sign up for a ride-along in a deputy's patrol car?
The Eagle County Sheriff's Office ride-along program offers the opportunity for interested citizens to accompany a deputy during his or her shift on patrol. To schedule please contact a Patrol SergeantSargent by calling 970-479-2201.
What's the difference between a sheriff's office and a police department?
The main difference is the area of jurisdiction. A sheriff's office provides law enforcement services and/or jail services for a county or other civil subdivision of a state. A police department serves a specific municipality, city, town or village. Often, cities contract for law enforcement services with the county sheriff's office.
Why do 9-1-1 operators ask so many questions?
Experience has shown the first 60 seconds of every 9-1-1 call are the most critical. Dispatchers need to determine the exact location of the emergency, the nature of the situation, and any other elements regarding the situation that the responding deputy should be advised of. A deputy armed with this information can react quickly and accurately and minimize the chance that further damage will occur or innocent bystanders will be hurt.

In an emergency, immediately dial 9-1-1 from any telephone (the call is free from all pay phones). For non-emergency law enforcement needs, please call the sheriff’s office at 970-479-2201.
Does Eagle County have a curfew ordinance for minors under 18 years of age?
No, Eagle County does not. However, several municipal towns do have curfew ordinances for minors under the age of 18. Check with your local municipal police department for their specific curfew ordinance.
My vehicle was towed. Who do I call to find out where it is?
Contact the Vail Public Safety Communication Center at 970-479-2201.
What should I do during a traffic stop?
When a deputy signals for you to pull over, please follow the below recommendations for a safe, and timely interaction:
  • Pull over as far to the right as safely possible. This allows the deputy to walk safely to your car.
  • Turn off the ignition.
  • Place your hands on the steering wheel until the officer can make a safety evaluation as he/she approaches your car.
  • Avoid making any sudden or reaching movements.
  • Follow the deputy’s instructions.
  • Remain inside your vehicle unless directed otherwise by the deputy.
  • Do not assume that the deputy knows that you are the ideal, law-abiding citizen.
Law Enforcement is dangerous work; deputies must be watchful at all times.
What should I do if I have a weapon inside my vehicle?
If you are carrying a weapon, advise the deputy of the weapon and its location. DO NOT attempt to retrieve the weapon for the deputy.
What should I do if an unmarked vehicle is trying to pull me over?
  • If an unmarked vehicle initiates a traffic stop and you are worried that the vehicle is not a law enforcement officer, turn your flashes, slow down to acknowledge the deputy, and call 911.
  • The 911 operator can verify that an officer is behind you and that it is safe to pull over.
What should I do if I am asked to ´step out of the car' during a traffic stop?
  • If asked to step out of the car, walk to the rear of your vehicle to the side away from the traffic, or as directed by the deputy, use the car as a barrier between you and on-coming cars.
What documents do I need to show a deputy during a traffic stop?
  • The deputy will ask you for three important pieces of information:
    • Your driver’s license
    • Vehicle registration
    • Proof of insurance.
Will the deputy explain the reason for the traffic stop?
What happens after a traffic stop?
  • Depending upon why the deputy felt it was necessary to initiate a traffic stop, you will receive either a citation or a verbal warning.
  • Once business with the deputy is complete,, you should merge, with caution, back into the flow of traffic.
What should I do during a traffic stop at night?
  • Follow all the same protocol as above.
  • If the traffic stop occurs at night, turn on the interior lights of your car so the officer can see inside the vehicle.
Citations/Traffic Ticket FAQs
Citations/Traffic Ticket FAQs
FAQs / Learn More
ecg tv